Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering 9/11

I hadn't planned to do a 9/11 post today, but it's been a special day of remembering...

At church this morning we had a memorable discussion around where we were that day 10 years ago, and what we remembered. I remember being in my little L*K office, and watching the events unfold on television. I was so stunned and saddened. Even though I live in the Midwest, I felt like I was there. My oldest daughter Ali was away at college, so we checked in with her often and hugged our daughter Sarah who still lived at home.

Not knowing how to react and respond to the situation, I did the only thing I could think of...I stitched and stitched and stitched!  I sketched out a couple design ideas, and went right to the computer to design. Suspending my other work, I spent a couple days stitching models as I watched TV. It's comforting to do something you know and love when everything else is confusing and unfamiliar.




We quickly got the design published and released and researched where to donate the profits from this charity project. We tried to select charities that would serve all 3 affected areas (NYC, Washington DC and PA), and those especially involved in supporting families and children.

To this date, 10 years later, YOU have been our partners in contributing over $8000 to these combined charities:
Salvation Army, Twin Towers Orphan Fund, September 11th Fund (United Way & NYR Comm. Trust), Children of September 11 Victims (Camp Comfort), and United Methodist Committee on Relief.

Your support has made these donations possible and we THANK YOU!

One more thing I just remembered that I want to share...in the days following 9/11, we received many thoughtful notes of condolence from our overseas customers and friends. They just kept flowing in during the days and weeks that followed. It was so reassuring to know that the world was mourning with us and our country, and watching over us. Once again, we love our friends in the needlework biz...in the US and around the world!

1 comment: