Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Here comes "Sampler Claus"!

I hadn't planned on designing a Santa this year (truly, I had NOT!!). But something unexpected happened this summer. I was overcome with the holiday spirit on a hot summer day, retreated to my office to piddle around with my design software...and guess who emerged? Santa Claus himself!

I had the BEST time working on this jolly old elf. I literally surrounded Santa with my favorite vintage sampler motifs - Lizzie*Kate style - it's so fun!

There's no "saying" on this Santa design, so he differs from the previous 20+ yearly Santa designs, but change is good...right?! I think he's letting the cheery Christmas motifs do the talking.

We're calling him Sampler Claus. Alan thought of the name, so he gets the applause. This name makes me smile. And, truth be told, I don't take Alan's creative advice very often. I usually smile and say something like "yea, I'll think about that".

Sampler Claus "Sneak Peek"

When I work on graphing a design like this, I always have "leftovers"...little bits I have graphed that don't end up in the final design. Sometimes they're some of my favorite bits, but just don't fit in with the final design.

That was definitely the case this time, as I began my Santa design by graphing a red and pink house. I've never done a red/pink house before and those colors just made me happy. I mean...who really has a red/pink house...but again, why not?  Alas, the charming house didn't make the final cut for the big design.

Sampler Claus "Joy Sampler" Sneak Peek

So I did a smaller design and began with the little house. Then I surrounded it with other fun "leftovers" and filled in with some snowflakes here and there.

***And here's what I've learned about my almost "retirement". It's SO much more relaxing to work on a design when you aren't on a schedule....when you don't have to churn out 4 more designs to release at the same time...when stitching a model is pure pleasure and you're not on a time crunching schedule. Not to complain about my previous life as a designer, but this is so much more chill and sigh...rrrreeeelllaaaaxxxiiinnngggg.

We are headed west soon on a road trip to Salt Lake City to visit the gang at 123stitch.com. We'll be carrying a big load of L*K including Sampler Claus (in our sleigh?). We will also deliver 17 oldies (vintage L*K chartpaks) that have had "facelifts" and been reprinted in our current chartpak format.

Sampler Claus will be available to purchase soon at 123stitch.com.

We'll keep you posted when Santa "comes to town"!












16 comments:

  1. I am glad you are enjoying your retirement and thanks for still designing something lovely and fun for us to stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the santa... and the pink house.... and angel... will we see it as a design to be purchased????

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMS!!! THIS IS SOOO AWESOME!!! I can't wait to see it and I will DEFINITELY be getting this when it's released!!! Thank you for still bringing us such fabulous designs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your sneak peeks. I am so glad you didnt discard the red and pink house and that darling angel. Cant wait to see the finished products!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great design! Is it weird to say that I'm so glad you'll still be designing (on your own schedule)? I was totally having L*K withdrawal syndrome in advance! hahaha I feel much calmer now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can shops buy these or is this only a 123stitch exclusive?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the sampler santa and can't wait for the cute little house. I am so glad u are still sharing your gift of designing with us

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy retirement and you should be relaxed a bit more. Thank you and ho ho ho to you all

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that you are still designing! I have ALL your patterns :) Will make sure to get any new ones!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking forward to seeing Sampler Claus in all its glory!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks amazing, Will I be able to get it for people in the UK?

    ReplyDelete
  12. This makes my heart happy! Thanks Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wish the LNS shops could get your 'new' designs for their customers as you release them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay!! So excited! I'm so glad you've found a way to simplify things for yourself, to enjoy retirement and to also keep your creativity going. Can't wait to see it. Hope you & Alan are enjoying life!

    ReplyDelete